A Ten-Day Immersive Tour of
the sacred sites of Karnataka
– Jan 14th – 24th, 2023
– Your guide: Christopher Hareesh Wallis
– Facilitated by our longtime expert Indian guide and friend, Yusuf Gaffar
– Explore South Indian temples and sacred sites
– Join 30 Tantrikas in community pilgrimage
– Pricing starts at $3750
Join us for a pilgrimage of the
inner and outer landscapes of India!
This is a powerful group experience where we go deep into the inner life of India in a way that few tours ever do, a way that requires guidance from someone who has studied the culture their whole life.
You can relax into your experience knowing everything is all taken care of. The price is all-inclusive (except flight and tips), and every detail is attended to with loving care. We stay in luxurious hotels with a traditional flair, because why skimp on what might be the greatest pilgrimage of your life?!
Karnātaka: Sacred Heartland
For many centuries, Karnātaka was the heartland of Shaivism (the religion of Shiva). Poet-saints sang of the beauty of its wilderness, including the great female poet-saint Akka Mahādevī. We will explore the ecstatic devotional poetry of this region of southern India while we traverse its sacred sites and perfectly preserved exquisitely carved temples. We will also visit the ancient Badami caves featuring perhaps the earliest depictions of Ganesh and Shiva Nataraj. And as the centerpiece of the trip, we will spend quality time in the astonishing otherworldly landscape of Hampi, the location of the last great Hindu empire, the fabled Vijayanagara kingdom.
Trip highlight: Hanuman’s Birthplace (in Hampi)
Hanumān — as the paradigmatic devotee we all aspire to be — replied, “From the point of view of this body, I am your servant, O Lord. From the point of view of the mind, I am your devotee. And from the point of view of the Absolute Truth, I am you.” The hill said to be Hanumān’s birthplace is one of the most powerful and beautiful spots in the otherworldly landscape of Hampi.
(See image below.)
Trip highlight: Badami Caves
An incredible ancient power center, reminiscent of Sedona AZ, and known for its cave temples that are cut out of the extraordinary sandstone rocks which surround the Agastya Lake. Three among the four cave temples are dedicated to deities of Hinduism and one temple is dedicated to Jainism. (See image below.)
14th Jan 2023 : Arrival in Bangalore & transfer to Hotel
15th Jan 2023 : Morning Drive to Hassan
16th Jan 2023 : Visit Belur & Halibed
17th Jan 2023 : Drive to Hampi with a stop for lunch
18th Jan 2023 : In Hampi / Explore the beautiful monuments
19th Jan 2023 : In Hampi / Explore the beautiful monuments
20th Jan 2023 : In Hampi / Explore the beautiful monuments
21st Jan 2023 :- Morning drive to Kudala Sangama – Bagalkote
22nd Jan 2023 : Drive to Badami
23rd Jan 2023 : Badami Caves
24th Jan 2023 : Tour concludes, transfer to Hubli airport
Would you like to tour some of South India’s most sacred sites with a guide who is a Scholar/Practitioner of the traditions practiced there?
–All historical and spiritual talks and guided meditations with Hareesh
–All hotel rooms stays at heritage hotels and eco-resorts
–All meals at the hotels and en route
–Admissions to the monuments
–Transportation in a comfortable air-conditioned tour bus
–Our local tour guide, Yusuf, accompanies us always.
–All tips for hotel staff, restaurants, washrooms, and temples.
–Unlimited bottled mineral water on the whole journey
–Fruit and snacks on the whole journey
–All local taxes
What’s NOT Included:
— Any special pujas at any of the temples
— Any special entry for the Main sanctum of any temple
— Video camera or still camera fees
— Airfares to and from India
— Visa fees
— Arrival transfer on the Jan 14th, 2023
— Departure transfer on Jan 24th, 2023
— Tips for our guide ($10 – $25 per day)
— Laundry services or phone bills.
— Anything not specified in the left-hand column
Meet Your Guide
Christopher Wallis, also known as Hareesh, is a scholar-practitioner with thirty years of experience, having been initiated into the practice of yogic meditation at sixteen, and fifteen years of formal education. His degrees include a B.A. in Religion and Classics from the University of Rochester, an M.A. in Sanskrit from U.C. Berkeley, an M.Phil. in Classical Indian Religions from Oxford, and a Ph.D. in Sanskrit from U.C. Berkeley. His doctoral dissertation focused on the role of spiritual experience in the tradition of Tantric Shaivism. Additionally, he received traditional education at yoga āshrams in upstate New York and India, training in meditation, mantra-science, kīrtan, karma-yoga, and pedagogy. He currently teaches meditation, yoga darśana (practical philosophy), Tantrik philosophy, Sanskrit, and mantra-science.
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING
VERY IMPORTANT REQUIREMENTS
- While INDIA does not require vaccination, all major hotels still require proof of two doses of vaccination as well as a negative PCR test. Furthermore to enter the country you must have a valid Covid test. You must provide this to us when you register, or no later than October 26th, 2022.
- You are required to purchase travel insurance for this trip, no later than 10 days after registration. Please send us proof of travel insurance ASAP. The level of coverage you choose is up to you, just ensure to obtain travel insurance that covers the risks you are unwilling to assume.
- CANCELLATION POLICY – You must cancel 60 days prior to travel or NO REFUND will be issued. There are no exceptions to this rule, including COVID related country closures. This is a risk you assume. Please read the full policy here.
- Your passport must be valid for at least 6 months from our entry date to India. Check today and start the renewal process now if your expiration date is prior to July 16th, 2023.
- An Indian e-visa is required to enter the country. More details will be provided about this.
- As of February 14, 2022, all international travelers age 5 and older arriving in India, must upload either a negative RT-PCR report taken within 72 hours of the start of their journey or a certificate of completion of full primary series COVID-19 vaccination to the Air Suvidha portal. We are recommending vaccination to ease travel across the border.
- All international passengers must visit newdelhiairport.in/airsuvidha/allairports and submit a self-declaration form at least 72 hours prior to departure for India.
Book Your Spot Below!
50% to reserve your place – payment in full by November 15th
14 – 24 January, 2023
Twin room rates start at $3,750
For further information please contact email@example.com
We are here to help.
On the last day we will be in Badami, which is 3 hours from the closest airport: Hubli. If a minimum of 20 of us are all leaving after 2pm from Hubli, we can share a bus at the cost of $40 per person. Otherwise, your transfer to the Hubli airport (3 hours from Badami) will cost a maximum of $120 or as little as $40 if 8 people can share a shuttle together. In this instance book your flight no earlier than 2pm from Hubli. Please be advised, the bus ride from Badami to Bangaluru (Bangalore) is almost 9 hours so please plan on booking a flight out of Hubli and connect via plane through Bangaluru or elsewhere to your final destination.
You are also encouraged to read “Lonely Planet – South India & Kerala” for lots of practical information about clothing, customs, etiquette, packing, food while traveling, money and more in an easy to reference format.